Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Colonial ASP


Another quick hit aircraft concept, this time from a story I wrote called The Children of Caprica. Yes, you guessed it, it's set in the current Battlestar Galactica tv series. I wasn't that interested in the show when it first came out, but an insistent friend gave me the season one DVDs. I quickly scooped up season 2 and 2.5, just in time for the next season. I wrote my story just as season 3 started, but my interest in the show started to wane as the season went on. The plotlines they had weren't nearly as interesting. In the end, I really liked how BSG finished, and it proved a nice fit for my story. Hm, that reminds me, I'm not sure if I registered this one with the WGA yet.......

In any case, this ship is a stealthy transport, designed for Colonial Special Operations units. The trick for me is to come up with something practical, something that makes sense aerodynamically, militarily, and still looks like it could fit in a hangar bay alongside the other Colonial ships, Vipers, Raptors, etc. I have a tendency to overthink stuff sometimes, but I guess I'm more in the James Cameron school of thought, which is to say, make it cool, but make it look like it could really exist (now I'm not saying I'm in the same league as Cameron, just saying I'm more into his way of thinking ).

No comments:

Post a Comment