Monday, July 9, 2012

Game Six WIP


I started this painting after game two of the Stanley Cup Finals. I blocked it all in rather quickly, but then I got so caught up in watching the games and the subsequent celebration of the Kings victory that I didn't get back to it right away. My initial idea was just a King vs a Devil. I sketched out a bunch or rough thumbs, did some online research. I saw a lot of "Archangel casting Satan out of Heaven" type of themes, but I didn't want mine to look overly religious, so I started thinking about some old Frank Frazetta paintings. I had something in mind and started sketching.

To my dismay, disappointment, embarrassment, etc, I found a Death Dealer painting that was similar to what I was already starting. I didn't want to rip Frazetta off, but I found it might be cool as a parody\homage, so I stuck with what I started and tweaked it to look more like the Death Dealer V painting. After I blocked it all out, I decided to add a Blue, Canuck and Coyote.
Once it was all in place I found that I still had to design what they were all going to look like. What exactly does a Blue look like? My team and I had worked on The Guardian Project last year. It was an idea to merge Stan Lee comic book characters with NHL mascots. Because of this, I was very sensitive as to how I wanted the characters in this painting to look, so I spent more time away from the painting and back into my sketchbook. I also decided that I didn't want them to have any weapons, too violent, and no hockey sticks, too cheesy, so I just changed their hands and arm poses, especially with the devil. I also started to define what the King was going to look like.
I soon began to realize that I was spending way too much time designing the peripheral characters, so I just went back to my original them, King vs Devil.
  
Once I had this settled I could now really concentrate on the characters, lighting and environment. I didn't really have a light source or lighting color established, which is of course a mistake, even though I had a general idea of the lighting direction. I also started thinking about the King standing on some kind of a wall made of ice or maybe even a slope of ice. LA isn't exactly a cold place, but I thought it might lend itself to some cool colors (no pun intended) as well as tie in the overall hockey theme, not to mention a nice contrast with the reds of the Devil. I also started to think more about the King's design. My original ideas were kind of a knight in shining armor look, but this LA Kings team is not the old finesse team of the Gretzky days. These guys are big, strong, fast and in your face, so I decided if I'm already doing a Frazetta kind of theme, might as well make this King something from a Conan movie.
 
So here's where I'm at. I've noodled in a cliff, like maybe he's defending an ice ledge, a cave or something. I also removed the purple from the cape and gave him a set of wooly boots and animal fur on his cape.It feels like it's coming together so thought I'd post all this process up for some feedback.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed seeing your chronicle of your creative process....it's a bit of a metaphor isn't it? the way to live life it to adapt and change, some ideas dont always work out, but you keep evolving, adapting and tweeking until it is exactly what you want it to be. I'm not a good judge of artistic "correctness", nor am I a hockey fan but I can say that like the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree. I can't count how many times I've thought of art as metaphor, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete